Desperate Mothers Making Money by Selling The Placenta Of Their Babies

Selling of placenta by desperate women who have just given birth is the booming trade in Abuja, a development which has reached alarming proportions.

Chika Mbonu, a local midwife in Abuja said, "I
was first approached by two middle aged men
when I was in Akwanga in Nasarawa State two
years ago; in fact that was the first time I heard
of it. I was shocked to my bone marrow that I
had to scream for them to leave my house
immediately. It was after they left that I found
out that they had already met one of my
relatives who directed them to me and I had to
start warning and enlightening all my patients
never to give in to anyone who demands for
their placenta for any amount."

Dorcas Ochugbo, a resident of New Karu in
Nasarawa, has also been approached by one of
these merchants. "It was after the delivery of my
second baby at one maternity home in Masaka.

The woman came and offered me N500,000 for
my placenta. When I asked what she needed it
for, she claimed that she works for a cosmetics
company who uses it for production of its
products. I asked her to wait for my husband to
come so they can discuss but she left and
promised to come back and never returned.

Also speaking on the issue, an Abuja based legal
practitioner, Onuorah Chinanuekpere, said that
section 216 (e) of the panel code law states that
"whoever is in possession of or has control over
any human remains which are used or are
intended to be used in connection with the
worship or invocation of any juju shall be
punished with imprisonment which may extend
to two years or with fine or with both."

"Hence going by the provisions of the law, it
could be interpreted to mean that any person in
possession of the placenta, which medical
practitioners see as human remains, and is
found to be using same for witchcraft or juju,
should be penalized," he said. "This is the reason
why medical doctors strictly urge mothers to
bury same after child birth."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you enjoyed this? Keep dropping your Comments as the Top 3 Overall Commentators will get gifts from Us at the end of the Month.